What is Rhinoplasty ?
A nose job (technically called a rhinoplasty) is surgery to change nose’s shape or improve its function. It can be done for some different reasons: For medical reasons to correct breathing problems related to the nose or correct disfigurement resulting that comes from trauma or birth defects. For cosmetic reason, it is doneto change the nose’s shape and appearance.
In this rhinoplasty method, a small incision is made under the nasal tip, between the nostrils. It allows the surgeon more complete access to the nasal structures, where he can then sculpt the nose into the desired shape. The scars in open rhinoplasty are well-hidden in the natural contours of the nose so they are as unnoticeable as possible.
Incisions in this technic are made inside the nostril. This method is most commonly used for patients who need more minor adjustments to the nasal structures to achieve their desired improvements. With this method, there is no visible scarring after surgery; however, this approach may not be suitable for more extensive and complicated rhinoplasty cases.
Tip plasty involves reshaping the nasal tip only, without affecting the other structures in the nose. Plastic surgeons may use the open or closed approach for tip plasty.
Revision Rhinoplasty, referred to as secondary rhinoplasty, is used to address unwanted results following a primary nose job. Revision nose surgery is a procedure that helps improve the shape, contours and function of the nose. It often requires cartilage for structural support for the tip and/or bridge of the nose. Septal cartilage is often deficient and plastic surgeons often choose cartilage from elsewhere in the body, the ear and the rib. Soft tissue irregularities along the bridge of the nose or tip may also require tissue that provides a cover or camouflage and acts as a “natural filler” which is permanent. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia. Open rhinoplasty is generally preferred for secondary nose jobs.
Letdown (Pushdown) Rhinoplasty (Preservation Rhinoplasty)
Letdown rhinoplasty is an interesting technique that has been popular lately. It can be applied in the form of open or closed approach. In normal closed rhinoplasty surgery, the existing bone or cartilage belt on the back of the nose is taken out and the appearance of the arch of the nose is removed. In Let-down technique, the cartilage or bone belt on the back of the nose is not taken out, the excess cartilage or bones under this belt is removed and the removal of this belt is provided. This is a method that helps surgeon remove from the lower parts without disturbing the roof. With this technique, the anatomy of the back of the nose does not deteriorate. A faster recovery will be achieved and we face less edema and bruise in the early post-operative period.
Piezo Nose Aesthetics is the latest technological point that brings surgeons closer to the expected aesthetic results in the aesthetics of working with sound waves for minimally traumatic nasal bone reshaping and hump removal during the surgery. In recent years, it began to be used safely in the nose as it has been using for 20 years in medicine. There are a couple of advantages of this technology: In the bones of the nose where the desired place and especially sensitive cuts are made, bleeding and bruising around the eyes after surgery are not seen. Bone healing is 60% faster than standard mechanical techniques. Soft and smooth nasal bone lines can be obtained more easily.
Things to consider for Rhinoplasty:
- Sleep with the head elevated for the first week after surgery.
- Avoid strenuous activities such as aerobics and jogging.
- Take baths instead of showers while you have bandages on your nose.
- Not blow your nose.
- Avoid extreme facial expressions, such as smiling or laughing.
- Brush your teeth gently to limit movement of your upper lip.
- Wear clothes that fasten in the front. Don’t pull clothing, such as shirts or sweaters, over your head.
- Don’t rest eye glasses or sunglasses on your nose for at least four weeks after the surgery, to prevent pressure on your nose.
- Use sunscreen and wear a wide brimmed hat after surgery. Try to stay out of the sun until you’ve healed.
- Be sure to follow all instructions given by your doctor after the procedure.
- Type of Anaesthesia: General
- Where you should have the surgery: In a full-fledged hospital
- Duration of the surgery: between 1.5-2.5 hours
- Hospitalization: 1 night
- Hotel stay after the surgery: 6 nights
- Total stay in Turkey: 8 nights
- Return to Work: 1 week