Skin Removal After Weight Loss (Post-Bariatric Surgery)
Skin removal surgery includes a range of body contouring/shaping procedures. It is performed after significant weight loss to address excess skin folds on the arms, legs, torso and/or buttocks. With skin removal (also known as post-bariatric surgery), patients achieve a more natural and aesthetically pleasing shaped body. Skin removal surgery is a specialized one among all plastic surgeries and should only be performed by highly experienced, qualified plastic surgeons with body contouring procedures.
Many patients who have had bariatric surgery before are left with a significant skin hanging from below the belly button. A lower body lifting surgery, also known as panniculectomy, removes excess skin and tissue from lower abdomen and tightens tissues on the abdomen, buttocks and thighs. It is one of the most common post-bariatric procedures, and also one of the most extensive. A panniculectomy removes this excess skin to restore a smoother, firmer torso. A thigh and buttock lift also removes excess skin and fat and restores a firmer, and more slender appearance to the legs and buttocks. This procedure can help jeans fit much more comfortably and shapely appearance to the legs and lower body.
Upper body lifting surgery, as in lower body lifting surgery, may consist of one or more procedures, including an upper arm lift, breast lift (or gynecomastia) or back lift which is a procedure that also helps remove fat from the back. Upper body lift surgery gives a firmer, more youthful appearance.
Things to consider for Skin Removal Surgery:
- Your recovery will depend on the procedures you have as well as the extent of skin removal. If you only have an upper arm lift, for example, you may be able to return to work within one week and be ready for exercise within one month.
- More extensive procedures, such as lower body lift, will require a longer recovery time.
- If you have extensive lower body lift procedures, lifting, strenuous exercise, and physical jobs are typically off-limits for 6+ weeks.
- Be sure to follow all instructions given by your doctor after the procedure.
- Type of anaesthesia: General
- Where you should have the surgery: In a full-fledged hospital
- Duration of the surgery: 2-4 hours
- Hospitalization: 2 nights
- Hotel stay after the surgery: 4 nights
- Total stay in Turkey: 1 week
- Return to work: after 3 weeks